23 December 2015

A Christmas Ornament Color Conversion

If you've been here for a while, you know that I love to play with color, sometimes just changing one or two, and sometimes doing a complete color conversion. For me, being comfortable with changing colors opens up so many more designs as potential projects because I don't look at a design and automatically rule it out because I don't like the color. I suppose I would have less stash if I did rule out designs based on color... but where's the fun in that?

For his ornament this year, Mr. Wonderful chose "Plenty" by Hands on Design from the 2015 Just Cross Stitch Christmas Ornament issue. And being a very traditional guy, he wanted it stitched in more traditional colors. Here's what I came up with:

My color choices:

fabric: 32 count Chestnut
deer: DMC 3862
swirls, antlers, letters: DMC 3031
leaves, border: DMC 4045
poinsettias: Weeks Dye Works Turkish Red
red and gold beads

Off to get some more stitching and finishing done.

Happy Last Minute Christmas Stitching!

7 comments:

  1. Honeybee, I really like your color changes you did on this ornament. While I do like the "chalk" version, I am really taken with the traditional colors and how striking it now looks. I have written down your changes and will add them to that page in the issue. I love the shade of your linen. Wishing you a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honeybee, I was wondering if you could tell me a DMC equivalent for the chestnut linen. Thanks so much!

      Delete
  2. I love the swirls you added to the reindeer. Your colour changes give a totally different look to the piece. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Justine. The swirls are there on the original design, they're just more subtle as they're stitched in grey and don't show up in my picture very well.

      Delete