29 June 2016

Fox Finds... and shopping tips!

At this time of year, I pop in to Hobby Lobby about once a week. Even though it's not even July, they have already begun putting out fall and Christmas items. I know a lot of people complain about it being "too early", but I love it. Summer is #4 on my list of favorite seasons, so the appearance of fall (#1!) stuff is always welcome to me. It's nice to be able to buy supplies/decorations early and get to work on projects. If they didn't put out fall stuff until September, or Christmas stuff until after Thanksgiving, there would be such a rush to get things done in time. This way, the work (and the expense!) can be spread out over several months, and by the time cozy fall and merry Christmas roll around, all of those projects are done. That's the way I like to do it, anyway. 

I'm often asked where I've found things that I show on my blog, and more often than not, the question is about something Christmas-related I've shown, usually in November or December posts. My answer is almost always the same: "Hobby Lobby (or some other craft store), last July." If you want a nice selection of goodies, especially Christmas ones, you have to shop in the summer, right as the retailers are unpacking their boxes. They won't restock seasonal items over and over. What they get is what they get, and when it's gone, it's gone. I can't tell you how many times I've spotted some neat Christmas item in July, snapped it up, and by the beginning of September it's no longer to be found. 

All of which brings me to why I just bought Christmas ornaments in June. TA-DA!

I was too excited to find these at Hobby Lobby! They're perfect for my fox Christmas tree

I also found this cool metal wall art there. I can see him with leaves entwined around his ears in the fall, holly at Christmas time. An interesting alternative to a wreath.

And this!

Pretty big day at Hobby Lobby. And since we're on the topic of foxes, here's my progress on Fox Forest (The Work Basket). I'm stitching it with the recommended Weeks, with the addition of GAST Oatmeal, and only a few other minor changes. It's on PTP Sand.

Bonus Tiger Lily:


9 comments:

  1. Woo hoo! Good for you. I wish there were a poodle craze again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun shopping day your had at Hobby Lobby! I really like the metal fox head that came home with you. You have made good progress on your fox piece; I like the colors on the sand fabric. Miss Tiger Lily looks very relaxed. Enjoy the rest of your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did good at hobby lobby! I just love your little Miss Tiger Lily!!
    Enjoy your evening
    Darlene N

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got a good eye for finding 'fox' stuff. Love that Workbasket piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agh! Too soon for Christmas (today anyways) :) But love everything you got!! And that stitching piece is turning out awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the past I have shopped for my Christmas stuff in July. Now I just have too much, but I really do love the shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Christmas stash. The UK shops are not so crazy for early Christmas, they usually wait until the children have gone back to school in September.
    I love the Fox Forest design, that's a really sweet one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That quirky kit is too cute 🤓

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great finds at Hobby Lobby. And such nice progress on Fox Forest, I just love this piece.

    ReplyDelete