18 December 2017

Flavors of Christmas: Gingerbread

Welcome back, everybody! Today's flavor is gingerbread! 



As I mentioned yesterday, there's no chart for this. I just selected an alphabet I liked and went to work. "Gingerbread" is stitched on 30 ct. Irish Cream linen from R&R Reproductions with GAST Gingersnap. The rolling pin charm is available from 123 Stitch and the gingerbread man cookie cutters are available at Shelly's Buttons and More.

*****

Gingerbread Cookies with Lemon Frosting

I wouldn't say I'm wild about gingerbread; I'd say I'm picky about it. There is so much going on with gingerbread spice-wise (and molasses-wise!) that it's easy to get proportions a bit out of balance for my taste. But a well-balanced, mild gingerbread is hard to beat at Christmas time, and when I saw this recipe that paired gingerbread with lemon--I'm crazy about lemon--I had to try it. These little gems are delicious.



1/2 c. butter, softened
3/4 c. packed brown sugar (I used light brown)
2 eggs
1/4 c. molasses
3 c. all purpose flour
1 Tbsp. ground ginger
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground allspice
1 tsp. ground cardamom
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. grated lemon peel
1/2 tsp. salt

Frosting:
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 1/2 c. confectioners' sugar
1 Tbsp. grated lemon peel
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. vanilla extract
(I added 1 drop of yellow food coloring to make them extra pretty!)

Cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and molasses. In a separate bowl, whisk together the next eight ingredients. Gradually beat the flour mixture into the creamed mixture. 

Shape into 1" balls and place 2" apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350 until tops are cracked, about 8-10 minutes. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to racks to cool completely. 

For frosting, beat cream cheese until fluffy and then beat in remaining ingredients until smooth. Frost and store in the fridge in an airtight container. Yield: about 4 dozen

More tomorrow!

10 comments:

  1. I love your gingerbread word ornament, Honeybee. Your cookies look divine and I bet they smell divine as well What time is tea?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The perfect project to get next Christmas gift list started. Thank you for this
    creative idea and the sources....

    ReplyDelete
  3. 123 Stitch does not have rolling pin and thinks it may have accompanying a
    pattern or chart????? Many thanks anyway...Have a blessed Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are going on my must-bake list. I love lemon, too!!!!! (I wanted to shout, but settled for exclamation marks instead.)

    Love the sparkly trim around the ornament.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your stitching is too cute for words! As always! I can't wait to try your recipes. Thanks for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely love what you've done this year so far!!!! Thank you so much for sharing with everyone!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gingerbread is adorable...I love this grouping you are putting together. I love gingerbread and lemon but not cream cheese. I'm trying to think if I can make it without that one ingredient or would I throw the great recipe off? RJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The frosting wouldn't work without the cream cheese, and I'd be surprised if you could even taste it. The lemon is the flavor that dominates.

      Delete
  8. I am really enjoying the Flavors of Christmas. I'm waiting to see if some of my favorite flavors make the list. :+}

    Sandra in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Honeybee for all that wonderful stitching work & especially for the recipe for all those scrumptious looking delicasies.
    Kay.

    ReplyDelete