22 December 2017

Flavors of Christmas Kitchen Wreath





When I had the idea for a Flavors of Christmas Kitchen Wreath back in the summer, I knew I had to have a brown wreath. I wanted the whole wreath to have a golden brown, "baked" look. I knew brown wreaths existed; I had seen them at some store at some point in the not-too-distant past. I started looking... and looking... and looking. Brown wreaths were not to be had. If I had wanted a lime green wreath, or a hot pink wreath, or a purple wreath--no problem. Brown? Nope. After scouring the internet, I finally found one, ONE, O-N-E source for brown wreaths. Which were out of stock. To make a long story short, I got some great customer service and ended up with a few of these wreaths. I bought several because while these are "work wreaths" (skimpy), I wanted my wreath to be full and fluffy. I simply disassembled a couple and combined them to get the look I wanted. Here's one wreath:

...and here are three combined. 

The ornaments are tied on using an 18" piece of ribbon glued between the front and back of the ornament during finishing.

The really nice thing about this project is that you can do anything with it. Choose your own favorite flavors... and use an evergreen wreath if you want! Make a wreath that celebrates your favorite meal, your favorite holiday, your favorite cuisine. You could make a Thanksgiving wreath... an Italian wreath... a BBQ wreath... a Family Favorites wreath. You can use any font (there are tons of legal alphabet freebies online), any fabric, any embellishments, any decorations. I'm pretty sure at some point I'm going to need a Tex-Mex wreath!

Or... instead of a food theme, use any theme you like! All you're doing is stitching some words, finishing them flat, and attaching them to a wreath. How about Fruits of the Spirit (Galatians 5.22-23)? Or your kids/grandkids' names? Or characters from your favorite book? See? You really can do anything with this project. (I'm so doing the Fruits of the Spirit one, y'all. Someday.)

Sources:

Wreath: Carolina Pottery

Fabric: 30 ct. Irish Cream linen (not sure this is still available)

Baking charms: Karen Foster Design baking charms (I got mine from 123 Stitch but apparently they sold out after I began posting my Open House. Also available at Amazon.)

Cookie cutter embellishments: Shelly's Buttons and More

Orange slice decorations: Etsy

Peppermint decorations: Hobby Lobby

A note about the alphabet I used: It's a freebie alphabet I've had for some time. I tried to find it again before I started posting my Open House so I could link to it, but I couldn't find the original website it came from. You may be able to find it on Pinterest, but I wouldn't want to link to anything but the original source on my blog.

UPDATE: I finally found the original source for the alphabet. It's a freebie available here.


*****
Thanks for visiting my Christmas Open House and for all the kind comments you've left. I hope you've enjoyed sharing this Christmas tradition with me. Merry Christmas, y'all!

28 comments:

  1. I LOVE your Flavors of the Season wreath, Honeybee. And as you mentioned, it lends itself to personalizing it to whatever one wants to create. Thank you for listing your sources; it is truly helpful all the way around. What a super photo of your supervisor, Miss Tiger Lily! Enjoy your weekend and wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas!

    PS I look forward to seeing your Tex Mex wreath down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so clever! So many great ideas in this piece and perfect execution as always. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas to you three! This is a gorgeous wreath!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have really enjoyed your Open House! What a fantastic idea for a wreath! I have loved every flavor every day 😊 Such creativity! Thank you for sharing! Merry Christmas to you and yours 💚

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a clever idea and your presentation is so cute. I've enjoyed each day!!! I happened onto your blog when you were working on the Texas designs to fill a bowl. My husband is a Texan in heart......had to drag him kicking and screaming to Ohio. We have 5 Texas related ornaments on our tree. 2 I have stitched, one is the outline of the state with the flag and my 2 favorites were painted by Patti, a Texas artist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it!!!! You're very talented. You have given me some great ideas! Craft shopping here I come.

    Merry Christmas!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merry Christmas! Your wreath is awesome, so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, that is just the cutest thing I've seen in a long time!! Such a talent you have, Honeybee :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have LOVED this series!!! So many ideas for next year. ❤🎄😊

    ReplyDelete
  10. Honeybee dear you are super creative.. I just loved each flavor step and now
    that I see your wreath idea, I am thrilled... I am all kitted up, thanks to your
    inspiration and direction. Deeply grateful. A most blessed Christmastide to you and yours and to all who visit here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, this wreath is just the Bee's knees, the Cat's pajamas.............etc. You are just so very creative. Thanks for sharing and "Merry Christmas!" :+}

    Sandra in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  12. BRAVA, BRAVA!!!!!!!! What a finish ... well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a Beautiful wreath Honeybee, makes me want to make one for my home and 5th wheel trailer. Wishing you and yours a Blessed Christmas and New Year. And a big Thank You to your husband for his service to our country.
    Hugs, Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Honeybee this was so much fun to watch each day. And the final presentation was wonderful. I love your wreath so much. Like Robin I can't wait to see your "Tex Mex" wreath one of these days. Have a wonderful Christmas. RJ

    ReplyDelete
  15. Honeybee, Beautiful, beautiful open house as usual. You are so very creative and talented. Thank you for sharing it. Cathryn

    ReplyDelete
  16. Simply wonderful wreath! You're an inspiration to us all. Merry Christmas from one military family to another.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a gorgeous wreath, Honeybee! The perfect ending, of sorts, for the flavors of Christmas! I second your comment on the Irish cream R &R linen, it's hard to find. Checked eBay, most ONS's, no luck. I'll keep trying! Merry Christmas to you, Mr. Wonderful, and last but not least Tiger Lilly! My cats Momo, Bubba J, and Flashy-cat say Merry Christmas to Tiger Lilly also:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Could not locate Irish cream, so 123Stitch matched it as close as they could
    Now I need the source for that perfect ribbon for the bow....and I will be all
    set to start my wreath in the New Year...which by the way should be filled with
    good health and happiness for the Honeybee Family and all who visit here.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Honeybee - Could you advise where you found that perfect ribbon for the bow?
    With that I will be all set to do the wreath in 2018. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it came from Michael's but it was in their Christmas department, so I don't know if it's available now.

      Delete
    2. Many thanks - will give it a try. Wishing a most blessed New Year filled with health and well being to you and yours and all who visit here.

      Delete
    3. Please don't think me a pest...I am on the hunt... Michael's did not
      have it...would you still have the spool with the brand name? Many thanks, Honeybee....

      Delete
    4. Were you able to get the mfg. name on the ribbon spool? Have tried
      to find it with no success...Have located everything else. Many thanks
      for your reply.

      Delete
    5. Was able to locate it !!! For anyone interested, it is a Celebrate It
      ribbon and I found it on Etsy. Many thanks, Honeybee.

      Delete
  20. The wreath is just wonderful! Now you have my brain ticking as it what theme I could do. Thanks for sharing your idea.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! What a wonderful idea! It's a great way to showcase all of your beautiful stitches :)

    ReplyDelete