26 December 2017

So Much Stitchiness!

It's my favorite week of the year: Stitchy Planning Week! If you're new here, you can read about my annual tradition in this post and about the thoughts behind it in this essay I wrote a couple of years ago.  

*waits patiently for everyone to get caught up*

Ready? Let's look at stuff! 

First, I have to show y'all a new piece of fabric I got last week. This 30 ct. fabric is Snowfall from The Primitive Hare. I don't know what I'm going to stitch on it yet, but when I saw it I knew it had to come live at my house!

I have some finishing to do this week. You'll recognize these as some of my JOY finishes from when Mr. Wonderful was away. 

These are the supplies for a tiny project I started Christmas Eve. I love gray and was so excited to find this beautiful gray/white trim at Hobby Lobby. I already had this project in mind, so when I found the trim, I knew it would be perfect. But let's not kid ourselves. I would have bought it anyway. I love gray! Speaking of which, I mentioned a while back that I was so happy to see DMC adding some grays to its range, and I'm happy to report that the new #04 is exactly right for working on Wichelt's petit point gray/white linen. 

Supplies for my next start. This is a project I've loved for years and years, and I've decided I really need to get it done. It's small, but very detailed. Really looking forward to it.

And here's a WIP that I pulled out to finish because I felt sorry for it, Let it Snow by Blackberry Lane (on the recommended fabric). I started this last winter, and quickly decided I don't like stitching over one. I don't mind a little bit, but the snowflakes on this one were driving me nuts. I'm particular about how my stitches look, and those teeny tiny stitches just never look--to me--as pretty as the chubby little full stitches. So I put it away because I was mad at it, but now I feel sorry for it, so I'm going to finish it. I have a solution for the snowflakes...

From my newest piece of fancy fabric to my oldest: this is my very first piece of hand-dyed fabric, which I've had for years and years (PTP Crystal DaVinci). When I bought it--oh so many years ago--I had no plan for what to stitch on it. I just thought it was a stunning piece of fabric. Back then, hand-dyed fabrics were just catching on, so this was really a novelty. I carefully put it away and "saved it." Now, if you're a regular reader, you'll know that these days I'm the curator of quite a hoard of fabric, but this piece remains special. I get it out now and then and think about what to stitch on it, then put it away. But I may be close to a decision. Stay tuned...

And here's my big decision. I've decided to take the plunge and start Russian Hunt. It's huge, y'all. But my plan is to just let it be what it is: a huge, ongoing, leisurely project with no finish date goal and with no pressure. I'll be stitching whatever else I want, and I'll work on this when I feel like it. At least I will have started it. When I was pondering this decision, I had the chart spread out on my sewing room floor, and Mr. Wonderful walked in and said, "Wow." Yep. That about sums it up. The size, the gorgeousness. Wow. I have to stitch it.

So that's what I'll be doing this week between Christmas and the New Year. I'm excited. I look forward to this week so much, and I hope that whatever you're up to, you have a wonderful week, too!

14 comments:

  1. So much pleasure is in the choosing - I do miss that since I've not been stitching. It's a beautiful design and I'm sure it will be a pleasure to stitch. I have so many fabrics and bits and pieces that I've kept as I can't bear to use them:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Honeybee, the Russian Hunt piece is going to be stunning. I like your snowman piece that you had banished and I can't wait to see how you solve the over one snowflake issue. What lovely fabrics you shared along with the pretty trim. Enjoy your week of planning; you will find me doing that this week as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Planning,planning. So much fun, isn't it? I am planning now too. :D
    You do NOT like stitching over one?!? What? I love it. Oh well. I have a Russian piece to stitch in 2018 also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have just come across your blog of the first time, and had a goo look through your posts. You have beautiful taste in stitching and fabrics too, I love your new snowflake fabric. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see a trip to HL is in order, that lace may be the perfect thing to save a small project that I cut too short. I love the snowflake linen and can't wait to see what you stitch on it. I can't imagine how long the Russian piece is going to take!! It's going to be a stunner. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi from New Zealand!! I too have only found your blog recently and enjoy reading them.

    I love the Primitive Hare fabric, I have longed to get this but I have never seen the whole piece of fabric, so now after seeing yours I have to have it! I love the Riolis kit too.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Honeybee I love that snowflake fabric...so pretty. I can't wait to see what you stitch on it. And that lace with the grey is so pretty. You have an awesome Hobby Lobby with all the great things you find. Good luck with the Russian Hunt...it looks very labor intensive but will be a treasure when done. RJ@stitchingfriendsforever

    ReplyDelete
  8. That snowflake fabric is so pretty. Can't wait to see what you stitch on it. Like you, I'm fabric hoarder. There is fabric that's been in my stash for years, but I can't bring myself to using it because it's too pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the fabric! I've worked on the dotted fabric for a model but haven't used it in my own stitching yet. I'm thinking of using it for some old BOAF Santa designs though.

    Good luck with the bap! When I'm working on something like that, I try to remind myself (like the old joke about how to eat an elephant) that it's just one stitch at a time.

    I really enjoy reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Stitchy Planning Week too. No work until New Year and plenty of time to ponder and make lists.
    Love the Primitive Hare fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that Snowfall fabric! I am sure that you will find the perfect design for it.

    I will have to talk a look at the new greys (and all the other ones!) as soon as I can. I am sure all the designers will be a well!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't had a planning week this year, I think I'm just going to pick things up as and when :) The Russia design looks amazing, what a great long term project.

    ReplyDelete